Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Really? You're kidding right?

So if you've been following my blogposts..esp the ones about triathlon, you've probably caught onto the fact that I-don't-swim-well. That I down right suck at it.

In fact, this is what I used to look like in the water just 3 months ago:



Not pretty.

I blogged about it in an earlier post and promised to upload this horrendous (but incredibly useful) video of my swim indicating my dire need for proper swim stroke critique.

Well, my appologies for not actually posting the video until now.

So anyway, after a couple of months of struggling on my own, I decided to take serious actions to fix my stroke and joined Learn to Swim classes for people who already know how to swim that just want to get better at it. They are offered by the local masters swim coaching group called sundevil masters. The group is really well known among triathletes and though these semi-private lessons (3 individuals per class) are pricier than regular masters swim sessions ($20/class vs. $6/session), I knew that I needed that extra special attention to my stroke.

It's been frustrating trying to re-learn proper swim stroke methods but it's what I need to do to get better at swimming.

Well, today, as I was getting done with another struggling swim session, I got a major confidence booster :). Just as I was getting out of the water, the life gaurd watching over us asked me:

"Are you training for something?"

Me: "yeah...trying to, haha"

Her: "Well, you look like you're a good swimmer"

Me: "Really? Are you serious? Wow...I've never heard that from anyone...ever...EVER!"

Her: "Yeah really...you make it look effortless in the water"

Effortless huh...well it sure don't feel effortless. I can't believe someone actually thought that I make it look like i'm effortlessly crusing through the water.

AHHHHHH!!!

That, right there made my day....hell it made my week.

I know I'm still slow and I know that I have a long ways to go before I get to ber where I want to be but that little confidence booster...I really needed that.

I haven't had anyone video-tape me again since the first time but I think it's fair to say that I probably look at least a little bit better than the windmill-parachute girl you witnessed in the video I posted :)

We shot the shit a little bit about swimming and she told me about how she watches so many people train and how they don't finish the stroke properly or how their entry is all off...and I definitely used to do those things until pretty recently. I'm still struggling to get these things right but God...it feels so undescribably good, so-so-so good to know that I'm actually making progress, even though sometimes I don't feel like I am :)

I guess that's why I'm in love with triathlon.

I guess that's why I stick with it because I know...deep down inside I know...I can get better, I can get faster...and it's that chase that keeps me going...it's that chase that makes it worth the frustration and the struggle...

Besides..you know me. If it was easy...I wouldn't be doing it :)