Monday, June 2, 2008

A Plea from the Heart

My dear Hillary,

Granted that you’d be a more experienced, quite possibly a more qualified president who can dig us out of the hole we’re currently stuck in; granted that “the other democratic candidate” has a whole lotta sizzle but not enough meat to back it up. Granted that you know in your heart that you’re a better candidate for precidency.

Granted that I’ve backed you up throughout your bid for the White House nomination, refusing to jump on the band wagon and fall for the “Change for America” rhetoric.Granted that I’ve often been the lone ranger debating against a forest of Obama supporters, holding fast to my conviction that you’re the right gal for the job, that you’ll prevail through it all and the nay sayers will side with you.

Granted that you’re fighting this up stream battle ever so tenaciously, refusing to give up because you feel like you’re almost there. Granted that it must be tough, unbelievably tough to be so, so close…yet no where near clenching the nomination.

Granted all of that and more. But girl, its time to give it up. Seriously. Be the better woman and give up the bid for presidential candidacy for the greater good.

People (including myself) are starting to get a little worn out by all this non stop election coverage and just want it all to be over. Obama’s got the majority here, fair and square. He’s charmed his way through many a stadium filled crowd and even I have to admit that he is very, very charismatic and sounds more genuine. He talks TO his audience, while Hillary, you sometimes talk AT them. And that, along with your bad luck with campaign leadership, may well be the reason why he was able to inch past you and is now swiftly sprinting his way to the finish line while you have no kick left in your campaign legs.

So my dear Hillary, I urge you, please bow out gracefully. Please don’t drag this sordid affair all the way into August. I’d like to see you run for presidency again in the future. I really would. Please don’t sabotage your political career by leaving a bitter taste in our mouths and refusing to concede. Historically speaking, dragging the bid for presidential candidacy all the way through to the democratic convention has only proven to result in a loss in the general election, and you don’t want that now do you? Us democrats certainly don’t.

So my dear Hillary, you’ve had a helluva run, and you should be very proud of the valiant effort you’ve put into this race. But it’s time to step aside. This isn’t to say that I’m a switch hitter and I’ve thrown my support towards Obama. No. I still have a hard time admitting that he’s the likely democratic candidate for presidency by a long shot. But, if supporting you to continue pushing on means potentially losing the general election then count me out.

So my dear Hillary, while I can’t say I’m now a full on Obama supporter, I do believe that, you’ve gots to go. I just hope and pray that Obama’s able to add a little more substance to his speeches and not make us dig through the internet to try and figure out what he actually stands for besides his “Change for America” slogan.