Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Daylight and Sunshine

Man, the weather has been superbly amazing in SF these days. I keep forgetting that other parts of the country are barely starting to thaw out because out here in Frisco, it's a purrrfect 60-65 degrees high when it's not raining and a cooler 55 or so high when it is.

Well this weekend, guess what. It wasn't raining. No ma'm. infact it was the perfect weather for a beautiful 50 mile bike ride up north (well not too north) in San Rafael/Nicasio/Petaluma ...one of those days that make you feel happy to be alive and in good health and have the ability to enjoy the beautiful sunshine and hills and lush greenery all around you.

I have been training with the YMCA tri group for a little while now, but this saturday was my first official group ride with them and I gotta tell ya, I actually really enjoyed it! We met up at the Lucas Valley rd park & ride off the 101N and got going on our lovely bikes at 9am!

This was a semi-no-drop ride with plenty of regroups and while I was consistently at the back of the group, I wasn't too far off behind them :).

The ride was pretty easy going, mainly flat with one big hill towards the beginning of the ride. I felt great on the ride, basically didn't feel much fatigue until the last 10 miles or so and my left knee didn't really bother me until right around that time either which is good! I even followed my ride with a quick little 20min run and definitely felt like I had enough left in the tank for more :0)

Sunday, we lost an hour by switching to daylight savings time, but I would much rather celebrate gaining an extra hour of daylight and sunshine than mourn the loss of that 'hour' and the loss of sleep that comes with it.

I do realize, however, that not every feels the same way about daylight...glorious daylight. IN fact, many people, especially the daggone nocturnal folks down right hate the 'loss' of this hour.

I don't get it!!! I've ALWAYS loved DST!!

I would gladly, in a heart beat, any day of the week give up this hour that i'll gain back at the end of the year anyway for some added sun in my life.

Logging onto Facebook and checking people's status messages, it's ridiculous, I mean ridiculous how many status messages are dedicated towards pooh poohing on DST and whining about this so called 'losss' of an hour!

All I can say is...GET OVER IT!

And while you're at it, go for a nice walk or better yet, a nice run after you get off from work because guess what, the sun is still out at 7pm :)