Monday, March 3, 2008

Unreal AZ Weather

This is going to be my third spring in Arizona and it still amazes me how The Weather during spring can get so summer-like so fast. I mean, this weekend, we had gorgeous, 80 degrees weather with the beautiful sun smiling down on us, beckoning us to come out and play. People were layin out by the pool tanning, I went for a nice little run and a bike ride, everything was just perfect. But the sun is very treacherous here you see, and it never ceases to horrify me how, within the matter of a couple of weeks, the weather turns from the beautiful spring-summery spledor of march and april to the 100+ degree, dry, burning, smoldering nightmare from hell in May. But it doesn't just stay that way for a day or two, oh no no no my friend, it continues to be hotter than hell all the way through September with nary a day with a high temp below 95 degrees. May through september, let's do the math here, that's 5 freakin' months!!


Last summer we had a record breaking 32 days of over 110 degree weather...32 days!! It's crazy!! If you ever want to go for a run, or a bike ride, or anything out doors, it better be short, sweet and at the crack of dawn, when it's a nice, cool, 95 degrees out. As little exercise as walking from your parked car to the Grocery store is enough to get your back drenched in sweat (depending on how far your car is parked). Thank God for airconditioning!

Summer 2007 was definitely my least favorite summer of all time because I was training for the SOMA Half Ironman triathlon (1.2mi swim THEN 56 mi bike THEN 13.1 mi run). Try riding your bike for 60 miles when it's 105 degrees out, then going for a nice half our run immediately after. On second thought, don't. Just take my word for it, it is NOT fun.

So whenever spring starts to show its colors and the temperature starts to slowly warm up in Arizona, I try to enjoy it as much as possible; but, in the back of my head, I can't help but be afraid of the imminent doom that is to befall on us poor Arizonans in the months to come.