Monday, January 25, 2010

Ironman Arizona: A DNF story part 3 (the 'happy' Bike)

Attempting to complete Ironman Arizona has been a dream of mine for quite some time. An Ironman Triathlon is a 2.4mi swim, 112mi bike ride and 26.2 mi run within a 17h time period. On Nov 22nd 2009 I attempted and failed to complete Ironman Arizona by falling 5 min short of reaching the 4:15pm bike cutoff time and receiving a DNF.

DNF in triathlon stands for Did Not Finish. But to me, my DNF during Ironman Arizona stands for Dream Not Fulfilled (yet). I’ll be back in Arizona someday to re-attempt making this dream a reality. For now, here’s my account of what happened and what I learned from it.

Part 3, the 'happy' Bike:

After the abysmal swim that I had just had, I was ready to get out there and have fun on the 112 bike ride ahead of me. Yes. FUN.

Ok. Here we go. Time forget about the cold ass swim and go have some fun. You’re doing an Ironman Azra. An Ironman! Do you realize this? You just SWAM 2.4mi, more than you’ve ever swam in one sitting and you’re doing THIS! You're about to go ride 112 miles...you're REALLY doing this!

Finally..I started to get into it. I used a heart rate monitor (HRM) to help me pace myself during the 112mi long bike segment. I had been using HRM training all through out my long rides and it had served me pretty well to this point. But that day, for some reason, my legs just didn’t have it. My whole body just didn’t have it. I was following My heart rate the way I was supposed to, but the speed I needed just wasn’t there. Hell, I was going slower than I had in my training rides on a considerably hillier terrain in much hotter weather. Granted I had a fairly strong headwind coming my way but I still felt like something wasn’t right. I should’ve been able to go faster, but I was afraid to stray from my game plan. What if I ‘blow’ my heart rate now at the expense of completely hitting the wall and collapsing on the run? I remained positive, thinking ‘I’m just cold, I’ll warm up and start getting faster after 15/20 miles. It’ll be okay’.

The Ironman Arizona’s Bike Course is a 3 loop Out and Back course with a slight incline and a headwind on the way out and a slight decline and a tail wind on the way down the course. I chalked up my slow speed to both of these factors on the way up thinking I’ll make up plenty of lost ground on the way back and sure enough, I started zooming after the turnaround and my spirits picked up.

I had a gynormous smile on my face the whole way back! Going downhill with a tailwind is WAY more fun than going uphill with a headwind! Even if the incline is ever so slight.
I was also making sure to take in 250 calories an hour . During the Ironman, you have to make EXTRA sure that you take in an appropriate number of calories each hour so that you have enough fuel to sustain your endurance for the day. Each person is very different in terms of what works with their stomach and taste buds since you have to be taking in gels, Gatorade/fluids, energy bars and whatever else have you WHILE you’re working your ass off on the bike or during the run.

I had practiced my plan and had it down solid. I knew what worked for me and what didn’t and I repeatedly did the math in my head, counting every calorie I took on the bike to make sure that I hit roughly 250 calories per hour.

So, flying downhill, taking in calories, and keeping track of my heart rate, the turn around point to start loop number 2 appeared within no time. My spirits picked up as I got closer and closer to downtown Tempe. The streets were completely packed with spectators and I was SO energized by their presence and their cheers!

So, not to brag or anything, but people LOVE to cheer me on during races. I think it’s because I always have a HUGE ear to ear grin on my face when I’m doing triathlons. Even though I don’t always love training, I LOVE racing. And unless I’m seriously crazy suffering out there, I am always smiling because I’m just so happy to be alive and able to experience the exhileration and the joy of racing. And let’s face it, who wouldn’t want to cheer a cute little Indian girl with a HUGE smile who looks like she’s just SO happy to be there ☺

I kept going, thanking all the volunteer that I could in the process and I got closer and closer to the turn-around point. I saw my parents right before the turn around and oh man I nearly lost it. I am so lucky to have such amazing parents who don’t always get my crazy obsession with triathlon but are incredibly proud of me and supportive none the less.

Finally…there’s the turnaround, I slowed my bike down, maneuvered around the dividers and was OFF for loop number two. On my way out, I saw Phil with his camera out, cheering me on, taking pics on the bike. I remember thinking how much I appreciated his support through all of this as I flew through the crowded streets on my bike.

Excited, energized...I was finally embracing the Ironman with open arms. I was convinced that the worst part was over with the swim and the first half of the first loop on the bike course....boy was I wrong.