Monday, August 18, 2008

Emma Snowsill Wins Gold in Triathlon! I raced with her!!



Last year, I did the LA triathlon which is by far, my favorite triathlon of all time. The swim was at beautiful Santa Monica Beach...all the streets of hollywood were closed down just so we could bike through it in peace and the finish line was at the LA convention center..what more could you want?

Side detour: I'm not doing the LA triathlon this year because it falls on the same day as the Big Kahuna (which I'm hoping, will become my new fav).

Back to the title of the Post.

Emma Snowsill won the Olympic Gold for Triathlon this year.

Last year Emma Snowsill was the same woman who Won the LA triathlon which is the same freakin LA triathlon that I was competing in! That's crazy!! I actually raced with an olympiad!

In what other sport does this actually happen? (well, besides running)

During the pro triathlete swim start for the LA triathlon (they let the pros go first), I actually got to watched Emma and other pros sprint through the sand down to the water, hit the waves and dive right in...butterflying their way over and past the crazy breaks and out to the bouys....absolutely amazing.

In what other sport do you actually get to watch the people you idolize and admire up close (like 20ft away)?

In what other sport do you get to see them compete with you?

Many of the pros were warming up for their swim in the Ocean before the race started....just like us regular joe triathletes..so in reality I could have been warming up with Emma Snowsill.

For those of you who are football fans, this would be akin to warming up with Tom Brady or Eli Manning or something to that extent.

Being able to freely talk to and warm up with and interact with pro triathletes...just another one of the many reasons why triathlon is an awesome sport :)

Azra