Monday, February 25, 2008

Serves You Right Health Net

So I work for a health insurance company (Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Arizona to be specific) and I like to stay up to date on what's going on in the Health Insurance world. A few weeks ago, I read a story on Health Net and it's awful, awful practice of dropping their "expensive", long term illness patients illegaly in the middle of their treatment. Not only do they drop these people, they reward the employees who are responsible for finding loop holes in their contracts!

Well, today, as I was doing my daily round of the Wall Street, I was so happy to read an article on a Los Angles attorney forcing Health Net to pay $9 million to a sick hair dresser named Patsy, who was dropped by Health Net in the middle of going through Chemo for breast cancer. Can you imagine having to face such a traumatic experience only to find that the company you invested in so that they'd protect you from harm and illnesses decides to pull the plug on you? It baffles me...it really does.

The LA city attorney has sued Health Net for 1600 more cases similar to Patsy's. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up paying a billion dollars in reparations. And I wouldn't be surprised if that STILL doesn't stop them from continuing the practice of kicking people off their policy. Nothing wrong with hoping for change though I suppose